Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Birthday!


Dear Tara,

Because I'm a good sister, I won't disclose exactly how old you are. I expect the same courtesy when my next birthday rolls around.
Unlike all of our other siblings, I don't remember the day you were born. However, every single childhood memory I have includes my big sister, Tara. Nobody would have ever questioned that you were the firstborn, you have a natural talent for mothering, apparent even in our early years. I didn't always appreciate it, but I look back at those power struggles fondly now. Power struggles such as telling Mom that I "glued to the wall" all the way up to nastier fights when we were older.
Mostly I look back on all the great memories we had together, countless hours spent in the back yard, playing house and jumping on the trampoline. Making forts on Saturday mornings out of the kitchen chairs and baby blankets and spinning on the tire swing at the park until we threw up Dilly Bars. I remember how grateful I was my first day of Middle School, when you took a few minutes out of your morning to show me where my classroom was, and a few years later, when you chauffeured your little sister to and from High School.
I've always looked up to you, big sister--you're much cooler than you give yourself credit for. You have a great faith that I envy, and a beautiful family that I love. You're a wonderful mother to my nephews and niece, and I love watching our children make memories together now. You have always been, and still remain, an inspiration to me.
Happy Birthday, Tara!

Love,
Your little sister,
Heather

4 comments:

Elmo's World said...

I'm so proud of all of my girls. It makes me happy to know that you have such good memories of being sisters. I still can't believe you 'glued to the wall'. Mom

Trezise Momma said...

Thank you, Heather. Those are words that I will cherish. We had such a great time this weekend, largely due to your hospitality. I don't think I could have picked a better sister! I am truly blessed to belong to the family that I do.

Jennifer said...

Aww... That was sweet!! It almost made me cry!! I love my family!!

Joyce said...

Gosh... I love this family!!!