Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Happy 26th!



Dear Preston,
Let's see, I've now known you over 8 years, and we've been married over 6 of those years... which, if my math is correct, is like half of your lifetime. Or something like that.
Actually, the time has flown--it seems like just yesterday we were sitting in Accounting class, passing notes back and forth, not working hard, and playing pool in our "off time". You were the guy I admired from afar (mostly because I was, ahem, dating somebody else), but as somebody else at another time once said... some things are just meant to be. And here we are, all grown up and playing house and we have a little boy and we're supposed to be adults (don't worry, I won't tell anybody that we totally aren't).
We've been through a lot, especially in the last few years, but we've always been able to pull together and get through it. You're a great strength to me, but more importantly--to our son. You're a wonderful father, and I love watching you and Jaxon doing "boy stuff" together. I love that you have so much patience with him (yes, even when he's throwing one of his "jumpy tantrums"), and I know I can always count on you to walk with him in the restaurant or... say, Pearl Harbor, or a crowded airplane, when things get hairy. I love that you make time for him at the end of a busy day. Even on school nights when he's fast asleep hours before you get home, you always go in and check on him and say a few words to him in his sleep before heading to bed yourself. You've nurtured his love for music and tools--important things for a little boy, and you've supported that, sometimes, he just wants to carry his baby doll around for a while.
You manage all this while holding down a beyond-full-time job with a monstrous commute and a rigorous school schedule... not to mention the help I get around the house, especially on the weekends (when you even let me sleep in!) when you could be doing homework. You let me stay home with our baby, even though it would be easier financially if I had an outside job. I don't thank you enough for what you do.
Happy Birthday, babe. May there be many, many more to follow... because your son loves cake.
Love,
Heather

4 comments:

Trezise Momma said...

Very nice pic-complete with a weapon!
Great tribute, Heather! We love Uncle P! He's the best! Sorry he had to work on his birthday. That is just not fair. Can't wait to celebrate in person!

Amber said...

Happy late birthday Preston! Does he know how to handle the weapon hes holding? I had the weirdest dream about you last night...how random but you had Jaxon and then a super fat lil baby girl...Heather with fat babies no way ;)but all we were doing was shopping and the kids were screamin and we were ignoring them and some lady kept yelling at us to take care of them...soooo weird! Anyway take care girlie we miss all you Willoughbys and think of ya lots! xoxo

hendywow said...

Happy Birthday Preston! We all love you, and are very proud of the Man you have become!love,
The Howe Family

Elmo's World said...

You are pretty cool, Preston. And you have made an awesome grandson for me.